We inspire people with the vision of bringing home ownership to every low income family and empower them with the tools to become successful.
We recognize that while conditions have improved over the past several years, there are many individuals facing barriers to economic success, including youth, working families, and the formerly incarcerated. Too many individuals living on the margins are limited by their zip code and unable to create a better life for themselves and their families through good jobs or affordable housing. That’s why we’re focused on building pathways to economic mobility by addressing the issues of affordable housing, workforce development, education, basic needs and community development.
We’re committed to advancing a more diverse and inclusive society by expanding opportunities and supporting equitable solutions that will enable low-income families & communities to grow and prosper.
BFFCO engages in effective community revitalization, while putting the tools to build assets and financial capabilities into the hands of low-income families and empowering the families we serve to build a pathway out of poverty while increasing the Amenity Value and Quality of Life in the Neighborhood.
We have developed and refined an approach to our work that builds on expert research, the principles of a national asset development movement, and eleven-years of experience working with low-income families.
BFFCO “Path to Prosperity” model empowers individuals and families out of poverty through a comprehensive, integrated, proven system of care that engages and existing, already HUD funded human service delivery system.
A commitment to excellence
We strive for excellence in all areas of our work. Our holistic approach to asset building for low-income families draws on leading research, intensive data-collection, analysis and evaluation, and iteration on our programs to get at what really works. We have developed a reputation for focused, disciplined execution.
A first-in-kind program
Like many other asset-development organizations, BFFCO got started by providing supportive services and career coaching. In 2007, we identified a HUD funded federal program as a broad, scalable market to which we could apply our core competencies, and became the first nonprofit organization in the country to design and implement an asset-building, public-private partnership plan.
A relentless focus on savings and home ownership
BFFCO providing adequate affordable housing for families, while delivering programs that empower families to build savings and asset building capabilities as a pathway out of poverty. This clear and concise focus allows us to iterate and expand on what really works and drive at the best possible approach to the problems we seek to address.
Our team has over two decades of combined experience:
- A thorough knowledge of real estate fundamentals
- An understanding and experience of resident needs
- Decades of affordable housing investment and development experience
- An expert, in-house team of professionals capable of comprehensively evaluating the multitude of factors that goes into successful innovative investment decisions.
- Staff leaders experienced in both for-profit and nonprofit real estate
- A strong capacity to develop tailored resident services programs for each new property acquisition
- Support from an Investment Committee composed of seasoned members of our Board of Trustees
- A business model that combines a charitable mission with the management and financial discipline of a for-profit enterprise
By supporting the efforts of BFFCO, local business, corporations, and organizations connect with the community whose support is critical to their success,
• Gain greater access to targeted populations.
• Improve the economic health and vitality of the community.
• Help train a potential labor force with skills that meet the evolving needs of area employers.
• Strengthen community relations and meet their philanthropic commitments.
• Increase awareness of their organizations within the community.